Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Truth About Cats and Dogs

To adequately describe the truth, as I see it, about cats and dogs, I must first give you some background about me. Despite the fact that I only have 3 children at present, I consider myself to be a quiverfull mama. I believe that God, in his infinite wisdom, created me -- all of me, including my womb -- and has a plan for me and for my womb. I believe He knows me and loves me and is fully aware of my capabilities. I believe that He will never give me more than I can handle and is fully capable of closing my womb when He has filled my quivver -- that He created -- to its capacity and only He knows what that capacity is. I believe that children are a blessing from God and I want God to bless me. Acting upon this set of beliefs, I choose not to use birth control or condoms or in any way attempt to prevent pregnancy. I am committed to accepting, loving and caring for all children the Lord blesses me with. I believe that God has a plan for every child I conceive.


That having been said, I could conceive at any time. There is a chance that a pregnant woman can contract toxoplasmosis from feline feces and the best way to avoid this is to avoid any possible contact with the litter box. My husband is wonderful and I love him and I love cats, but I know that if we had a cat the responsibility of cleaning the litter box would fall to me and I am not willing to accept that type of risk at present. So the truth about cats in our household at this time is we just can't have them.


We have a dog. His name is Rico. We adopted him August 2009 from the local animal shelter. It was going to be great. He was housetrained, great with kids and my husband and kids really wanted him. How bad could it be?

Well, first of all, he was trained to go potty outside, but took a liking to pooping on my stairs regardless. Like he would poop on my stairs after he had just gone potty outside. Fortunately, we have been able to break him of this habit.

And he is good with kids, but would be better for older kids as he loves to play, but likes to jump, which isn't great when you have a 5 year old, a 2 year old and a baby.

And, truthfully, we just weren't ready for him or for any dog, for that matter. He is a shepherd mix and we don't have a fence, so he was going to be an inside dog, but I was going to get up early in the morning and take him for a walk and I was going to take him for a walk when my husband got home and it was going to be great for my health. Which worked for about a week. Then my husband started taking Rico outside in the morning so I could help Addy get ready for PreK. Then, Addy started bringing home colds and I started catching them. In November, I caught one just couldn't shake and I just stopped getting up in the morning. In January, I found out I was pregnant and then I stopped even trying to get up before Evie and Izzy woke up at 8-9AM. Now, Joey takes Rico potty in the morning, if I have time to check the mail I take him out when I check the mail, and Joey takes Rico out when he gets home and a couple more times throughout the night.

He's still with us, but so far, its not the best fit for our family. We're trying to stick with it as he is still a puppy, but frankly, he's driving me crazy. He likes to eat the kids' toys even if he has a bone and one of his toys right beside them. He likes to eat underwear and socks, clean or dirty. And he likes to lay on clean clothes. He's still with us for now, but my husband's about to enlist so I'm not sure how long he'll be here. . . We're planning on getting a fence before Joey goes to basic, so hopefully that will give him an outlet for his energy and give me a place to put him where he can get rid of excess energy without destroying anything in the house. I'm just taking it one day at a time for now.


So to recap, the truth about cats and dogs are as follows: cats aren't an option and dogs are a PITA to have in my house. . .

I would like to clarify that, while I do feel like my dog is a PITA, I definately do not think all dogs are a PITA. In fact, my cousin Abi has diabetes and she has a fantastic diabetes hunting dog named Mr. Darcy who is able to smell when her blood sugar is getting to high or too low, thus preventing her from having diabetic siezures. While I haven't met him yet, I am very happy to say I do not find him a PITA. I really don't feel like any dog that isn't my own is a PITA. Well, him and the neighbor's weenie dogs that think they are a fair match for Rico in a fight. The neighbors just let him run wild and my dog barks whenever he sees/hears them outside. So far, he's destroyed 5 blinds and idk how many times he's woken up Izzy. I'm sure I will feel much differently if/when he grows out of eating the kids' toys and his other destructive behaviours, but for now. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment