Tuesday, February 22, 2011

My favorite Psalm

People are forever quoting Psalm 23. It is said to be the universal psalm, can apply to any situation, can comfort you no matter what situation you are in or what you are needing at the time. In it, it promises that the Lord will provide for you (I shall not be in want), give you rest, relaxation, peace, He will restore your soul, guide you, rescue you from death, protect you, lead you, make you victorious, give to you abundantly until your cup runneth over. Its a great Psalm. But its not my favorite.

My favorite psalm right now is Psalms 127. It tells me to prioritize my time and make sure I am using it for the Lord's will because only the Lord's will will be done and any efforts made not according to his plan are futile. "Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Unless the Lord watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain." I don't know about you, but I do not want to spend my time doing anything -- even if its what I think is right -- only to discover later on that I accomplished nothing. I do not want to do anything in vain. Which is not to say that I am boycotting any of the many, many repetitive actions that are part and parcel of the whole mom lifestyle (cleaning up the same mess over and over, changing diapers again, cleaning up after kids period, washing clothes and putting up toys, etc), but I am making every effort to learn more about God, to discover what his purpose is for me and to do my best in everything I do as if I were doing it just for Him.

I also see in this Psalm the importance of sleep (which, let's face it, most of us moms don't get enough of). "In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat -- for he grants sleep to those he loves." There are so many places in the Bible where God reminds us that he cares for us and will make sure we are taken care of, but its a nice reminder that the Lord cares that we get enough sleep, too. I read this Psalm before I go to bed at night and I meditate on this part. I thank him for loving me and ask him to grant me the sleep promised in this Psalm. My neighbor, Lisa, once told me that she asks God to allow her to sleep in his bosom at night and I meditate on this image before I go to sleep as well. Its an amazing image, sleeping in the Lord's bosom, cuddled up, protected under his arm, right next to his heart. That is the most peaceful image I can imagine and usually makes for a great night's sleep.

And then come the verses known by Quiverfull mamas everywhere "Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate." I am a quiverfull mama. I choose not to use any type of birth control, believing and trusting that God will not give me more children than I can handle. I am grateful for my 4 beautiful daughters and enjoy every minute with them. I am saddened by the thought that Rory may be my last child and treasure every minute with each of my girls. I hold out hope that one day I will meet a good, Christian man, will marry and have more children, at which time I will still choose not to use any type of birth control and still choose to trust God not to give me more than I can handle in any aspect of my life.

Sorry this is so rambling, but its late and I am tired. I'm going to go sleep in the Lord's bosom now. Have a great night, everyone :)

No comments:

Post a Comment