Saturday, March 6, 2010

A New Whey to Make Lemonade

For some reason, the last time I went grocery shopping, a bag of organic lemons caught my eye. I don't have a clue why. I don't like lemons. I only use them for making salsa, fruit salad and hot lemonade when I'm sick. But I bought them anyways. I think I was just on a fruit kick. I made salsa with the 2 lemons I had at home then opened the bag. The first thing I saw was a moldy lemon. YUCK. So I figured I better use the rest fast. I made fruit salad and used half of the lemon to make sure the apples didn't turn brown. That left 6.5 lemons. So I found a recipe that not only used lemons, but also used whey and I was ready to try it and kill 2 birds with one stone. I chose this recipe off Kelly the Kitchen Kop's blog because it used a 2 quart jar, which I had just emptied of whey, and called for 4 lemons. All the other recipes called for 12 or more and I only had 6.5. I actually used 4.5 so as not to waste the other 1/2 of a lemon. I made it on baking day (Thursday) and its supposed to ferment for 2-3 days, so we'll try it tomorrow (on the 3rd day) and if its good (and if the other 2 lemons are still good LOL), I'll cut the recipe in half and start some more fermenting tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment