Tuesday, March 30, 2010

One of my favorite uses for cream-of soups: Lemon Pepper Chicken Caserole

Ingredients:
3 chicken breasts
butter
2 cans cream of soups
long grain brown rice
1 pkg frozen broccoli florets
cheese
lemon pepper seasoning
salt or garlic salt
cracker crumbs or crunchy onions (optional)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees farenheit
Place chicken breasts (frozen or thawed) in an aluminum foil packet with a pat of butter and lemon pepper seasoning sprinkled on them.
Cook chicken breasts for 30 minutes, check internal temperature if not at 160 degrees farenheit, turn over, put butter and lemon pepper on other side and cook for another 15 minutes or until internal temp reaches 160 degrees (I am very particular about making sure my meats are fully cooked)
Cook rice on stovetop or in crock pot or rice cooker while chicken is cooking.
Steam broccoli in crock pot or cook in microwave or on stove top while chicken and rice are cooking (I like to buy the kind you can steam in the bag it comes in as it takes less than 10 minutes and is convenient and fairly cheap)
Remove chicken from oven and shred or chop into small pieces.
Combine chicken, rice, cream of soup, broccoli, some cheese, salt and lemon pepper seasoning in caserole dish. Top with more cheese and crackers or crunchy onions (optional) and bake for 15-20 minutes to cook soup, combine ingredients and melt cheese.
Enjoy.

I love this dish because its fairly easy to make and its a meal in one dish, so less to clean up afterwards. If only dd2 would eat broccoli. . . I may experiment with adding different veggies to this recipe or simply pureeing the broccoli so she has no choice but to eat it.

I have never soaked my rice before making it and Joey made this dish for me this week otherwise I would have soaked the rice the night before. Next time I make this dish, I will soak the rice before making it to improve its digestability. So the night before I want to make lemon pepper chicken, I will combine the amount of rice I want to cook with the amount of warm water the package of rice calls for with 1 tbsp bragg's organic apple cider vinegar for every cup of water called for. I will combine it in the pot I am going to cook it in, cover it and let soak overnight (20-24 hours is even better) then simmer in the same water used to soak until tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment