Friday, March 5, 2010

Whey Too Much Messing With A Good Thing Produces More of a Less Good Thing

I'm in the process of learning a lesson -- Don't mess with a good thing. I don't know how long it will take me to learn it, but I'm definately in the process.

I love my yogurt. I'm addicted to it. But it makes too much whey. So, in an effort to make less whey and since I had to buy some instant dry milk to make my dad's birthday cake, I decided to do what several recipes call for and add some instand dry milk. Since I was making yogurt with 3/4 gallon of milk, I added 3/4 cup instant dry milk based on a recipe that called for 1/4 cup of dry milk per quart of regular milk. I thought that the instant dry milk would make it thicker so I wouldn't have to strain it to make it Greek consistency like I like it.

I DON'T like the results. It is thicker than the yogurt usually is when its finished, but its not as thick as Greek yogurt. Its about the consistency of regular store-bought yogurt. And when you add the honey, the yogurt gets thinner. So I don't like the consistency. Not only that, but adding the instant dry milk somehow makes it so its harder to strain the whey out. So I CAN'T get it the right thickness. Which doesn't make me happy. Needless to say, I will not be adding instant dry milk to make yogurt again. Just wanted to pass this tip on.

So lesson learned -- if you want yogurt with storebought consistency, add instant dry milk. If you want yogurt with greek consistency, don't add instant dry milk, just strain the yogurt.

Lesson still working on -- Don't mess with a good thing. LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment