Saturday, March 13, 2010

Whey to make your own Sprite alternative!!!

I tried out and linked to this recipe in a previous post. When it had fermented for 3 days, I placed it in the refridgerator and tried it. I found it fizzy and very Sprite-esque, but felt it was very muted in flavor.

This time, I'm going to alter it to make it more like sprite.

I am using a 2 quart glass jar again, but this time I will be putting twice as much lemons, sugar and whey and will be adding 1 cup of sugar when its done fermenting.

Ingredients:
juice of 8 lemons (juice at room temp to get the most juice)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup whey
fill with water to 1" below threads of jar

shake all ingredients in 2 quart jar, cover tightly with top , cover with towel and allow it to ferment for 3 days. After 3 days, add 1 cup sugar and refridgerate.

I don't expect this to be exactly like Sprite as Sprite is a lemon-lime soda, so the next time I go to the grocery store, I'll pick up some more lemons and some limes to make another batch even closer to Sprite.

We only use sprite when the girls are sick, but I'd much rather make it myself and have it be all natural than buy it from the store, so this is the next step in my make your own Sprite journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment